Friday, August 31, 2007

As Surely As The Rising Sun ... You Will Be Set Free

So I am currently in love with Derek Webb and I thought I'd share some exciting facts about his 4 solo albums {from Wikipedia}...

1. On his national tour for She Must and Shall Go Free, he played his concerts in the living rooms of fans. He made a live album from this tour called "The House Show".
2. Wikipedia compares I See Things Upside Down to Wilco. :)
3. Over 80,000 free copies of Mockingbird were downloaded from Sept. 1, 2006 to Dec. 8, 2006.
4. Before its release, The Ringing Bell was available online in a deluxe edition which included a 96 pg. graphic novel inspired by the album {how cool is that?}.

I also discovered 2 other exciting things he is involved with!

1. Square Peg Alliance--is a group of 9 singers/song writers who joined together to cross promote each other's music. Andrew Osenga is also a member. :)
2. Noise Trade--is a site that allows users to download music for free from independent artists in exchange for sending emails to friends telling them about the artist. Derek got involved with this project after the success of Mockingbird.

My favorite song right now is "Lover" from She Must and Shall Go Free.

"Like a man comes to an alter I came into this town
with the world upon my shoulders and promises passed down
and I went into the water and my father, he was pleased
I built it and I’ll tear it down so you will be set free

but I found thieves and salesmen living in my father’s house
I know how they got in here and I know how to get ‘em out
I’m turning this place over from floor to balcony
and then just like these doves and sheep you will be set free

I’ve always been a lover from before I drew a breath
some things I loved easy and some I loved to death
because love’s no politician, it listens carefully
of those who come I can’t lose one, so you will be set free

but go on and take my picture, go on and make me up
I’ll still be your defender, you’ll be my missing son
and I’ll send out an army just to bring you back to me
because regardless of your brother’s lies you will be set free

I am my beloveds and my beloved’s mine
so you bring all your history and I’ll bring the bread and wine
and we’ll have us a party where all the drinks are on me
then as surely as the rising sun you will be set free"

I just love how he ties so many stories about Christ into this one song. One of my favorite lines is "I'll send out an army just to bring you back to me". How amazing is that? It gives me shivers. I also love the reoccurring theme of being set free. It's crazy how people have the idea that Christianity is going to tie them down and take away their freedom and it's the exact opposite. We are completely weighed down by our sin and it is only through Jesus that we can be set free.

"...then as surely as the rising sun you will be set free..."

3 comments:

NattaScatta said...

thank you for that reminder, Jme. sometimes it's hard to remember how horrible life would be WITHOUT the saving Jesus. if we were slaves to our sin and didn't have the hope of forgiveness and the love of God covering over us all day (and night) long... wow.

Jonathan Dodd said...

Great Wiki-facts, Jamie. I think my favorite line from "Lover" is "some things I loved easy and some i loved to death." Shivers, indeed.

The Happy Nomads said...

I really like the line "so you bring all your history, I'll bring the bread and wine." It's just such a beautiful reminder that we can bring all our sins to Jesus and he will cover them with his precious blood. It's an amazing thought. Another great blog, Jamie.